Saturday, April 07, 2007

MICK'S LAST SUNSET

At 11.30pm 6th April My Darling Mick peacefully passed away as I held him in my arms. It had been a happy day full of sunshine and laughter......I know that's how Mick would have wanted his final day to be...............

25 visitors have commented:

AnalĂ­a said...

A sunny day in the garden with his flowers and his beautiful family...and your loving arms and kisses....yes Ruth, Mick deserved a day like this to begin his new journey, it seems like if he was waiting it to fly.
I, we, all of us love you and we will be here for you.

Hugs and more hugs for you and the girls and the troopers. My heart is with all of you in this moment.
Love, Ani

Libbys Blog said...

To my very special blog friend and her family, my thoughts are with you at this time.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there.
I do not sleep

I am a thousand winds that swiftly blow.
I am the diamond glint
on newly fallen snow.
I am the sunlight
on ripened grain.
I am the soft and gentle autumn rain

When you wake from sleep in the early morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft, starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there.
I do not sleep

With all my love Ruth

Libby xxx

Auntie Noo said...

I haven't known you long, Ruth, but feel like I have! I am so glad that your last day together was as a family filled with laughter and sunshine. My heart aches for you, but today is another sunny day, and Mick will always be with you in your garden... in every flower that opens and every bird-song.

{{{hugs}}}

CG said...

Dear Ruth,
Phil and I send you all our love and thoughts today. I am glad Mick's last day was filled with sunshine and love, and that he died in your arms knowing that he was loved beyond measure.
I will never forget Mick - although we never met your words always conveyed the amazing spirit and personality that he had.
With love
Julie xxxxxxx

talj said...

My Dear Ruth, I don't have adequate words to express my thoughts and feelings here but know I am thinking of you, the girls and the family, as always. Love you all {{{Comforting HUGS}}}} xxx

Audrey said...

Ruth my thoughts and love are with you and your family at this time.

That Micks last day was spent in the presence of his loving family,in his beloved garden and to pass away peacefully, held in your loving arms is a fitting testimony of the obvious love you shared for one another and shared with all of us.

That is how Mick will be remembered, a man who made a difference through the spirit and personality you shared with us all.

Farewell

Farewell to Thee! But not farewell
To all my fondest thoughts of Thee;
Within my heart they still shall dwell
And they shall cheer and comfort me.

Life seems more sweet that Thou didst live
And men more true Thou wert one;
Nothing is lost that Thou didst give,
Nothing destroyed that Thou hast done.
Anne Bronte

Hugs to you and all your family

Love, Auds

Anonymous said...

Ruth, my thoughts are with you and your family. Even though I only met Mick once, by reading your blog I feel as if I've known him a long time.

Am glad you had your 'SPEC' time with him last night.

My Love and a big {{{HUG}}} to you Ruth,
Andrew

Icarus said...

Dearest sweet Ruth,
By now, I hope you have read what I have written you between us.
Yesterday, I left no comment, because I had no time. I escaped from here and had my own life back for a whole day in the city on holiday. I arrived back home at 11.15 pm.
I think that if I can repeat just one part of what I wrote you an hour ago, it is to say that the measure of this news is firstly, in the power with which it affects me. But much more important, that rather than Mick living all his last months, weeks, hours in the silence and indignity of indifference and invisibility, he walked on his last joureny on earth accompanied by a whole world of caring, concerned loving individuals & their friends and families beyond them. That is a measure of his greatness; that is a measure of your greatness. By your decision to share your burdens, the joys remembered, all of Mick's ways, you not only ensured that he was known, visible to us, but, elevated & honoured with dignity. You did the right thing, it is so obvious.
What Libby has quoted is a piece worth carrying with you every waking minute. May you live a long life of deserved health and peace. May time heal the pains you feel with your tragic loss.
My deep love, respect and whatever support is possible through the limits of this medium, always.
You only have to ask for it....
SXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Akelamalu said...

I do not know you or your family. I followed a link from cg's blog to get here. Now I'm here, and have read of your loss, I would like to offer my condolences - not much I know, but all that I can give and heartfelt.

Claire said...

My thoughts are with you and all your family.
Because of you Mick kept his dignity surrounded by the love of you and your family, you are simply wonderful.
Cyber shoulders ready when you need them.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sylvia said...

Ruth, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Jenny said...

Dearest Ruth,
others have said it so well already - the gladness I feel at how Mick spent his last days and weeks, cared for by loving family, and that last sunny flower-filled day. The respect and awe I feel for you, embracing the opportunity to serve Mick's needs so tenderly. The grief I share with you, at losing your partner through such a laughter-filled life. And my deepest hopes for you in the days and weeks of your new journey, for you to find comfort, kinship, and new laughter.
Love, Jenny

Ruth said...

Ruth, I'm so sorry for your loss. You are an inspiration!

Mauigirl said...

Ruth, I send my deepest sympathies to you and your family. As others have already said better than I ever could, you let Mick go with dignity and in the embrace of his family. Libby's poem says it all...Mick will always be with you.

Sheila said...

I've been offline more than on recently and was not aware of Mick's passing until moments ago.
You are an inspiration and an example to all of us. You touched my heart with your accounts of Mick and your lives together.
To know that you were with Mick until the end, that he was with his family in his beloved garden, speaks volumes for the man he was. to be loved so much by you all. My thoughts are with you all dear Ruth. Fondest love,
Sheila..xx


Remember by Christina Rossetti

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Ruth - and family - sending your my love at this time.

There are no words to convey how deeply I feel for you all.

You made Mick's life such a happy special place, and his last day and sunset the most wonderful.

You will never be alone - we will all be here for you.

Lottie

Peaceful/Paisible said...

I just received a mail from Audrey...beautiful flowers and sunshine and a marvellous wife, that's what Mick had...Oh my love I hold you all in my arms and have you in my thoughts...Mick I'm very proud to have known you...
my darling Ruth I give you plenty kisses.
love from mousie

Gill said...

Ruth
You always ALWAYS take time out of your busy life to comment on my blog, and I felt that it was the least I could do today.
Mum (Sheila) told me at work this morning about Mick. My God Ruth, I don't know quite what to say. I am deeply sorry. I feel for you. I would like to think that Mick is in a much better place now, although with you around caring for him the way you did, he would be hard pressed to top that.
You are a special lady Ruth. There are not many who could hold a candle to you. Mick was a lucky fella.
Sending love, support, and virtual hugs,Gillian (aka Blue the Spa Girl)
xoxoxo
"Too well loved to ever be forgotten." (Words on my late sister in laws gravestone.) xo

Anonymous said...

Everyone has said such lovely things! I am so glad Mick had you to look after him and that his last days were spent surrounded by love and sunshine in his own garden just as it is bursting into life. I am not a very spiritual person but it is hard not to believe that he is somewhere well and pain free keeping an eye on you. My thoughts are with you all at this sad time.

lilymarlene said...

Ruth, I'm so sorry! A bad time for you all, but not tinged with regrets because you have all done so well with your caring. My thoughts are with you......

Gledwood said...

Hi Ruth, this quote expresses what I wanted to say best. You see, what you gave to Mick is a living example of the power of love. It's that famous quote from the Bible:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease, as for knowledge, it will pass away. For our knowledge is imperfect; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a glass darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. So faith, hope live abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Shaz said...

Dear Ruth I've just heard your sad news. I'm so sorry for your loss but so pleased Mick had you as his wife. Take comfort in the knowledge that he'll be smiling down at you & blowing kisses {{{HUGS to you & your family}}}

Pat said...

Ohhh, my dear Ruth.

I've just today heard this news from Natalya and I'm ever so sad. I just had to post a short post to you but I'll write you more later.

Lovingly

Pat

Marion said...

Ruth, I'm thinking of you and your family. You are an inspiration to me and have given me much over the time I have read your blogs. Please take care of yourself, now, during this difficult time.

Christina S said...

Ruth, just loads of love and hugs to you, brave lady. Mick's last moment sounds like it was just the way he'd have wanted it. The way you have looked after him has been just amazing - he sounds like he was a lovely man from everything you've said about him - and a lucky man too to have had a wife like you. xxxRuby.