Sunday, April 08, 2007

EASTER SUNDAY VISITS


I slept so well last night...the best night's sleep I've had for a long time. Being back in OUR bedroom made such a difference...it just seemed RIGHT. I whispered my "good nights" to Mick... I know I'll always do that and slept for a full 6 hours.

I woke up really bright eyed and looked forward to seeing Rob. He was initially going to bring his girlfriend Louise with him...we have never met her as she has been on a "Grand Tour" ....but we have been keeping up with her "escapades" via her travel blog. I was a little apprehensive as I knew that it would be a difficult time for a "first meeting"....Rob thought the same thing and we are going to leave meeting her until a later date. I think it was the right decision and when she does come I will be better prepared...I hadn't even thought about feeding them or hunting out those stray cobwebs....well I want to make a good impression don't I!!!

As it was still quite chilly first thing I thought that while I waited for Rob to arrive (he was picking up Leanne & co on his way) I'd print out the comments and emails I'd received from you all so that the rest of the family could read them at their leisure................an HOUR later...there are just so many!!!.......I'd finally finished...well I thought I had but I see even more have come in since then!

When Rob, Leanne and the grandchildren arrived there were lots of hugs and a few tears. It was the first time I'd seen them since Mick died ( I hate that word). Rob brought in a Banana Bread that Louise had made for me as a gift...isn't that a wonderful thing to do!!!....I just know I'm going to love her when we do meet.

I had previously arranged with the funeral directors for Leanne, Rob and I to go and visit Mick at the Chapel of Rest. This was really important to Leanne as her final words to Mick when she left on Friday afternoon was that she'd be over on Sunday to see us both....she didn't intend to break that promise!!! We each went in separately, and, talking afterwards we had each reacted the same way.....giving him a hug and a kiss, shedding some tears and then just chatting and chatting away to him. He looked so rested and handsome....in my heart I could feel him smiling when I told him about Kirsty's poem and all the lovely comments I'd had about it. I could have stayed there all day but knew I had to leave so carried him home in my heart with me.

By the time we got home all of us were starving and ready for some "junk" food. Robbie took a very long list up to MacDonalds as Manda, Chris and Nicole had come round too to keep Phil, Kirsty & Mel company while we went to see Mick.

Would you believe I ate TWO of these as well as fries!!!!!

Mac Donald's have a Monopoly competition running at the moment and Leanne & Phil sorted out all the stickers...we only needed Bond Street and we would have won 10 grand!....LOL

We all spent a lovely afternoon in the garden; the weather was lovely..............

Our "BABY" boy, Rob!!!

and they didn't leave until well after the sun had gone down.
Time for me to catch up with a few blogs now.......did you know the Easter Egg Hunt has already raised £107...isn't that wonderful news!!!................also some of my long term blogfriends have said that some of you may not have seen the REAL MICK posts I did in December...just click on the "Real Mick Photos" label below if you'd like a peek.

12 visitors have commented:

Natalya said...

What a lovely post Ruth, I am so pleased that the family were round today and that Rob knew just what you were thinking! Making the Banana Loaf sounds like Rob's GF (sorry forgotten her name!) could be the perfect daughter in law!

So glad you went to see Mick and that you are back in your bedroom, I am sure Mick is with you no matter where you go Ruth xxx

Lovely photos. Thinking of you all, as always {{{LOVING HUGS}}} xxxxx

Sheila said...

I'm glad the family were all able to visit, and spend Easter Sunday with you. Don't worry about cobwebs, they come to see you, not check for dust..
lol
Hugs
xx

Claire said...

I am so glad you had the family about today Ruth.
It sounds like you each got to have a special moment with Mick.
Also so glad you had a goods night sleep, boy i bet you needed it.
Anyone who makes banana bread sounds like a winner to me!

It may be inappropriate for me to say this on such a lovely post, but i really want a Mcdonalds now!

CG said...

I was glad to hear about your day, including the Macdonald's feast and the banana loaf. I'm also pleased you managed a sleep.

I have been enjoying the photos of Mick.

With love, J xx

Sylvia said...

I am glad the day went well. Sheila is right people come to see you, not cobwebs. I knew we had a lot in common, I love McDonalds and Banana Loaf too. All your blog friends are with you and your family. {{{{Hugs to you and them}}}}/

Sylvia said...

Ruth, I found this poem for you and your family.

Safely Home

I am home in Heaven, dear ones;
Oh, so happy and so bright!
There is perfect joy and beauty
In this everlasting light.

All the pain and suffering is over
Every restless tossing passed;
I am now at peace forever,
Safely home in Heaven at last.

Did you wonder I so calmly
Trod the valley of the shade?
Oh! but Jesus' love illumined
Every dark and fearful glade.

And he came Himself to meet me
In that way so hard to tread
And with Jesus' arm to lean on
Could I have one doubt or dread?

Then you must not grieve so sorely,
For I love you dearly still:
Try to look beyond earth's shadows,
Pray to trust our Father's will.

There is still work waiting for you,
So you must not idly stand;
Do it now, while life remaineth-
You shall rest in Jesus' land.

When that work is completed,
He will gently call you home;
Oh, the rapture of that meeting,
Oh, the joy to see you come!

- Unknown author

Akelamalu said...

What a lovely family you have.

Rosemary said...

Dear Ruth, I've been reading all the posts I'd missed over the last month. It pains me that I was not online to share this time with you, as I feel so very close to you.

Your frustrations over the lack of help the doctors, chemists, and Health Service have given you with Mick's needs leaves an angry sore that will not soon heal, I'm sure. I'm thankful for your sake that the stage of not eating and drinking didn't last too long for him. It is certainly true that they reach a point where they are more comfortable not taking in anything.

Saying I'm sorry for your loss seems so shallow, as I've heard it over and over of late, myself. But I'm so proud of you for caring for your loved one so long and so well. Mick is enjoying puttering in his new garden today, for sure. No telling what he'll have ready for you to see when you get to join him!

We've not known each other very long, Ruth, but I cry as I write this, knowing just the tiniest bit of what you are feeling right now.

Giant {{{{HUGS}}}} to you!

Icarus said...

That was certainly a packed day for you. It's after 4 pm & only now do I remember that it's a bank holiday there (not in the Catholic countries), so it should give you more time with the family and friends.
Funny, that 'proper' deep sleep, how it comes, isn't it? You have been on red alert for so long that the body adapted to the mind. Then the release comes and it's catch-up time. Boy, how you must have needed it! And 2 BMs etc. raises suspicions about how well you were eating too. I'm not talking about all that home cooking of yours! Did you actually eat it too?
I had to small at the referenmce to your "Baby Boy". Why? Because my mum started pinning that on me when I was about 22, but in her last years, she would never stop! Every birthday card, whatever. I read one only yesterday. Funny! In 1985,on the 1st anniversary of her illness (Valentine's Day), I phoned a Valentine's message for her to Radio London, made sure she heard it: To Valentina, from Baby Boy. She was made up!
It is so reassuring to see you keeping it all together, all wrapped up in the love and warmth of your nearest, closest. I'm going to send you another mail soon, but for now the biggest kisses and I wish I could copy/paste a bunch of flowers for you all in with this!
Lots of love,
SXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Gigi said...

I can't remember how I came across your blog but I've been reading it for the best part of this afternoon.

I just wanted to say that you are a very courageous and wonderful woman. Mick must have been so proud of you.

Gigi xxx

Pat said...

What a busy day, Ruth but busy days are best as I found out.

The McDonalds and Banana Loaf sound absolutely great too! Ruth, I so wish I were closer as I've shared with you before so I could give you some REAL in person hugs but my cyber hugs will have to do.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Audrey said...

Im glad you had a day like this with your family round you,and good to read you slept well,I can imagine you needed the rest.

I was moved when you shared about your special time with Mick and that he looked so rested and handsome,

I had gone back to look at your post with the pictures of the real Mick, lasting and powerful images Ruth full of love

Gosh I havent had a Big Mac since the children were little, boy do they look good!!!

That banana bread looks scrumptious too and Im sure Louise will fall in love with you the minute she meets you,cowebs or no cowebs..

Thinking of you all and sending hugs and more hugs