Tuesday, January 02, 2007

ART, ART, WHEREFORE ART THOU, ART?

If you are reading this Tom I can't pick up a link from your comments so if you could email me (see my profile page) or leave your blog address I would be much obliged.
MY NEW YEAR'S PLEA

A few years ago Mick was doing some painting and decorating at a place called Smallbridge Hall in Bures. There was a lot of work to be done and the then owner, an Australian called Greg, had quite a team of people working for him. He had a guest staying with himself and his wife; I think her name was Libby or Livvy; the guest was an artist. His first name was Henry. One day Henry asked Mick if he could paint a portrait of him. Mick thought he was joking but Henry was serious. He said Mick's face was full of character; Mick's reply to this was "What you really mean is I'm bleeding ugly!"........LOL Over the course of a few days Henry took lots of photographs of Mick regaled in his decorators "whites", paintbrush in hand and then proceeded to paint the portrait. Mick pulled away from that particular job for a while as he had already promised his services on other jobs and when he went back to Smallbridge Hall Henry had left. Greg had decided to sell the the Hall and move back to Australia; I think to buy a ranch but told Mick that the painting had been sold by Henry.........it was sold in Bermuda or the Bahamas.......somewhere beginning with B! Greg sold the hall and went to Australia and that is all I know.

Why am I telling you this story?..............in the possibly vain hope that maybe one day someone will look at my blog who knows Greg (no surname) or Henry (no surname) and would be able to put me in touch with them. I would so love to see a picture of the painting....I don't even know what the title was.........to have a photograph of it would mean the world to me. I've spent many hours searching the Internet for some clue but with so little information it has proved a fruitless task. It's a very special thought for me that somewhere in the world someone has a painting of my Mick hanging on their wall.

ANY INFORMATION GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.

Mick as he would have looked about that time; the shaply calves are mine!!!!

27 visitors have commented:

Audrey said...

Ruth

What a lovely story...You never know and if you dont ask......Would absolutely love to read on your blog one day that a certain someone who happens to know a Henry or Greg who happens to know the artist will be able to gift you your desire and that you WILL!!!!!! one day see that picture of your Mick.......ITS A SMALL WORLD REMEMBER !!!!!!!SERENDIPITY X Seriously this would be so wonderful

Peaceful/Paisible said...

extraordinary!!!Mick painted by an artist...oh Ruth you have a famous hubby...you never know, it would be great to see this painting, but may be a princess somewhere owns it and wants to keep it!!!I'm kidding you!!!a bit jealous of the princess? no, you have the real mick with you!!!
love to you two
mousie

Icarus said...

Hey, Ruth! There has to be a way. I heard a few years ago that it was possible to find someone with a maximum of just 9 e-mails passed on. You just have to be lucky, I suppose. But if you aim in the right direction, you never know. Got anyone in Oz, for starters?
Kisses...........and I'm Still Standing!

Auntie Noo said...

Well I have rellies in Australia, who do happen to be very artistic, so I have forwarded a link to your blog - you never know a friend, of a friend of a friend may just be the one!!!! Fingers crossed!!

Anonymous said...

I so wish you luck with this Ruth - how great would that be!

Mauigirl said...

Ruth, of course I will look around and ask people while I am in Adelaide at the end of February! How convenient you posted this so soon before I go. I am also bringing my computer so will have time to do more sleuthing while I'm down there. Any further hints as to the identity of the artist will be helpful! I bet we find it!

Rosemary said...

I've found the full name of your Greg, but haven't been able to figure out how to get any more info. I did write to the Bures City Council, and a Ms Green was nice enough to email me back. It seems that property records are not public in the UK the way they are in the US, so she couldn't help. She did say she would ask around to see if there was a local artist in the 90's named Henry.

If you follow these links you'll learn a little bit about your Greg!! I'm guessing Mick's portrait was done in 1991. Does that sound right??

Maybe some of your Australian contacts can use this info to help you some more.

http://www.bures-online.co.uk/drake/drake.htm

http://www.daen.dk/pont.html

Happy Late Valentine's Day!!!

RUTH said...

AN IMPORTANT UPDATE; TTHE GREG I'M SEEKING COULD WELL HAVE THE SURNAME "MOORE"

Gwen said...

Hi Ruth..
I cant think of anyone relating
to those names,but if I stumble onto anything I will most certainly
pass the info on to you.

Natalya said...

Ruth, I so hope that someone out there can help you find this portrait of Mick! Wish you every bit of luck! :o)

Jeanette said...

HI Ruth.
Sorry im unable to help you,as I truly dont know a Greg or Henry and my Aussie bloggers are mainly family and close friends.
hope you have luck in finding Greg.
((Hugs)) to you both.

Anonymous said...

RE: an item on your sidebar.... "If friends were roses, you would be the one I would pick"....

I have my own version of this.

"If friends were noses, you would be the one I'd pick!"

Thats just me and what I'm like. you have to see a bit of humour in everything!

Unknown said...

Hi Ruth! I don't have very many Aussie bloggers, but how knows...they may know Greg??!!! I will add a link on all four of my blogs!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth, Sigurd is correct Greg Moore lived there with wife Libby, 2 girls probably about 10 & 12/13 at the time. Greg didn't leave the area immediately I think they waited for convenient time for girls to switch/finnish schooling.

One of the builders was called John Alvarez he was about 20/22 at the time from Sidney (where he returned as far as I know), maybe John (or his mate Matt) would know who the Artistic builder was.

christian at redtoad.co.uk

RUTH said...

This is wonderful information. The painter was actually a guest I believe of Gregs and not one of the builders so if I can trace Greg I may be able to trace the artist. Many thanks.
Ruth

Rosemary said...

I took a chance that Libby Moore might be an artist herself, and that Henry was her guest. There IS an artist with that name, and I tracked her down. She was nice enough to reply to my email. This one was a dead end, however, as she is not related to the Greg Moore we're looking for.

Anonymous said...

It was Greg Moore that lived there with his wife Libby & daughters Sascha and Anna. They moved back to Australia a long time ago. Greg used to be in charge of Pont Data, but the company went bankrupt in around 1992. Perhaps this may help you trace them? Last I heard they were living in Mosman (?) in Sydney, but that was a long time ago. I used to date Sascha.

Anonymous said...

Happy to email chat privately, rather than on blog, if you want any help. If so, I have added to favourites and will check once in a while

Anonymous said...

strax74@hotmail.co.uk
Would love to be of more help, but not sure how.
I do know more details regarding the daughters, that may help you to find them?

Bernie said...

Hi,
How is the search going?
If you need a link try the following. Not sure how good it will be, but you never know...
http://www.whitepages.com.au/
change to REDISENTIAL
and then fill in the gaps...
moore, g, mosman, new south wales
Good luck!

david mcmahon said...

I'm an Aussie - will try and find him for you.

Cheers

David

Rosemary said...

It's good to see that you are still getting people to help with this search, Ruth. I just know that one day you will find that artist. HUGS to you always!!

Anonymous said...

http://www.henryliamward.com/biography.html

And here is your artist!!
Good luck!

RUTH said...

I don't know who you are 'anonymous' but you have my undying gratitude. I've visted the web site and found 2 painintings of my darling Mick.

Leanne said...

i cant believe after all these years you finally have the information on mick's painting mum, that is unbelievable,and to see the painting is just fantastic!! thankyou to our anonymous friend xxxx

AnalĂ­a said...

oH mY gOD mIRAcLeS DO hAppEN!!

RUTH said...

They do Ana; I am soooo happy xxxx