Wednesday, April 18, 2007

TIME FOR A RANT

Gotta get this off of my chest before I explode. This morning I thought I'd type a few letter and make a few calls to credit card companies etc. Everything was going fine until I tried to cancel Mick's Burton's store card. Mick doesn't owe anything on it at all; but I thought that it may be a good idea to let the finance company that deals with the Burton's card know...just to prevent any concerns about identity theft and also to save me receiving any mail for Mick from them in the future. After 3 minutes of button pushing and 5 minutes of ear deafening music (with the odd voice interjection informing me they were busy) I finally got to speak to what I thought was a human being. It was obvious that the speaker was American by his accent (the following no way reflects on ALL Americans...we have plenty of morons like this in the UK).....I explained the situation, gave account details, explained that although Mick owed no money I was informing them for security's sake etc etc.............................I was informed that it was not in order for me to phone them ...only Mr Jenner could phone them.....thinking he had misheard my information I repeated my explanation that Mr Jenner had passed away on 6th April...still no joy....he had to speak to Mr Jenner........I then tried changing my wording..may be to an American the words "passed away" don't convey death.........I (still trying to remain calm) informed him that Mr Jenner was dead.........still no joy........I then got to shouting mode!!!!.....I shouted at the top of my voice "MR JENNER IS DEAD!".....no joy...he told me he had to speak to Mr Jenner as I had no authorisation to speak on his behalf.........I then screamed at the top of my voice "MR JENNER IS DEAD...D-E-A-D....AS IN DECEASED...D-E-C-E-A-S-E-D!!!" Still this moronic tw*t of a person insisted on speaking to Mr Jenner. I made a suggestion....would he like to take my phone number...give it to his credit control department...and maybe ask them to PHONE MR JENNER ABOUT HIS ACCOUNT......this seemed to pacify him...he took my number and said someone will phone Mr Jenner in the next few days. Hopefully when someone does phone they may have a modicum of common sense.

Rant over......I feel better now.....especially as when I was typing that last sentence the beautiful flowers were delivered from Talj and Andi. As always something nice just when I need it most. I don't think I can handle making anymore phone calls for a while......I think I'll spend a bit of time in the garden before I continue with the arduous task.

10 visitors have commented:

A wildlife gardener said...

I feel so enraged on your behalf, Ruth, and so glad your flowers came to let you know your are loved.

CG said...

Words fail me - I can hardly believe this!! I know after Mum died companies still kept writing to her despite my best efforts to stop them; it was always upsetting for Dad to get them.

Auntie Noo said...

I don't know what it is about this country that means you have to stick to the script no matter what someone is telling you.

I have a friend who has a daughter with cystic fibrosis. Her disability allowance was cancelled this year as, according to the issuing office, "it sounds like she's getting a lot better"...... her mother had to explain that it is a terminal illness and "getting better" isn't an option..... after a while of the person on the end of the line not really getting the idea, she too had to say "She is going to die, she will not get better" I really felt for her, because there should have been no need for her to articulate that, it's hard enough without having to say the words.

And that is how I feel for you Ruth, you have been so strong and showed such amazing courage, you shouldn't have had to say the words..... the hardest, hardest thing... It just isn't right!
{{{hugs}}}

Audrey said...

Words fail me too Ruth, absolutely appalling, Im livid that you should have to be put through this.

Sending you love and {{{HUGS}}}

Sheila said...

I guess they can be taught the job, but they can't be taught common sense.
Insensitive idiots...!
Enjoy your birthday flowers.
If ranting helps..rant away.. we are here to listen.
hugs
xx

Anonymous said...

They surely must have to deal with this situation often enough that they would have a proper procedure for it- wouldn't you think?

GRrrrr! again!!

Sorry, you seem to be encountering a good number of the world's most insensitive clods at the moment.

Libbys Blog said...

For goodness sake!!! Next time and I hope there never is, ask to speak to the supervisor and if no joy there carry on up, its what my hubby does all the time, he won't stand any nonsense!!!

Gledwood said...

I don't understand this. From their perspective, not yours. I mean, surely they have built into their modus operandi the fact that customers do pass away and that when this happens they are unable themselves to advise of this fact ..? If I were you I would complain. Not to get anybody in trouble, but to let whoever supervises their system know that staff training could do with some improvement!!

As for McD's: I go for that too.

Hope you're OK by now, take care
Gleds
xxxxxxx

crpitt said...

I will go for: Bloody Knobheads! thats the nice version of what i was going to post!

Sylvia said...

I have been catching up on my reading and am appalled at the way you were treated by my fellow American. Some of us are so dense. When my father passed away, I had a similiar experience and I finally told the person the only way to speak to my father was to call heaven and if he figured out how to do that, please let me know.