Thursday, June 14, 2007

HOPE

I thought I'd ring the Bereavement Allowance office again today to see if there was any news yet as to when/if I might receive some money. "It's with the decision makers" I was told......"but you said that on the 6th" says I. "Oh I'll just check again" I'm told...."Oh yes it's been granted but it may take a few days and you will get £58.46 per week" "But I was told I'd get £87p.w." says I.


It seems that as Mick passed away 11 days before my 55th birthday I'm not entitled to the full quota. This means that my income is below the magic "£59" that the government says I should live on so I would have been entitled to Income Support since April, not had to pay Council Tax nor would I have to pay for prescriptions or dental charges. The amount of Income Support I would receive would only be about 50p per week but at least it would be a qualifying benefit and would entitle me to the aforesaid freebies.


I spoke to the Income Support Office and explained the last 9 weeks and the person I spoke to was really kind.....Income Support cannot be claimed unless you are unable (due to medical circumstances) to work. She suggested I go to my doctor and see if he will retrospectively declare me unfit for work over the last 2 months. I really didn't want to see our doctor; the one who "cared" for Mick and who called me liar on my doorstep so I asked the surgery if there was another doctor I could see. I fully expected to be told I could have an appointment next week (you have to book being ill in advance around here) but surprise of surprises she gave me an appointment for 11.20 this morning. The appointments were running late so I was in the waiting room quite a while....once again I started to feel that "panic attack" coming on, my eyes were pricking with tears and I really thought I was going to have to leave. I'm glad I managed to sit it out because the doctor I saw was really nice and so sympathetic......I'm sure my bursting into tears as I entered his room showed him the state I was in. Blubbing I explained what the person from Income Support had said and he immediately agreed that there was no way I would have been able to go to interviews or work over the last few weeks and gave me the Sick Note I needed.


So all in all it's been a difficult day but at least if the Income Support is allowed I won't have to pay for my next lot of Blood Pressure tablets and who knows MAYBE in a few days that £58.46p.w. will start coming through.


When push comes to shove my predicament is nothing compared to that of Madeleine McCann's family. I've just been catching up with the news and I'm praying that the anonymous letter that has been received is a hoax and that somewhere Madeline is safe. All my troubles seem insignificant when I look at the photo of this sweet little girl.

New Press Number Released: +44 203 1594389

Portuguese Police on 00351 282 405 400

Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

International Crimestoppers on 00 44 18 83 73 13

10 visitors have commented:

CG said...

Fingers crossed the money come through soon!!!

Audrey said...

It sounded like a difficult day Ruth, Im pleased it had some positive outcomes for you, hopefully you will recieve your Bereavement Allowance soon

Betty said...

Ruth, thank you for coming by and commenting....I've gone back and read many of your postings this afternoon and if ever there has been a devoted wife to a husband, you certainly were....My heart was so touched...

As to the portrait, was it one that you were trying to locate? Were you successful? I hope so.....I look forward to reading additional postings.....Betty

Akelamalu said...

I am so mad that you have to jump through hoops to get even the basic help Ruth. I could cheerfully strangle somebody!!!

At least you found a sympathetic doctor, thank goodness. I hope the money comes through soon.

Did you hear on the news about the information someone has given the Portugese Police about 'the Frenchman' in the Maddie case?

RUTH said...

Yes Akela I've read and heard so many conflicting stories about this....each day that goes past I find myself thinking that there will be no happy outcome....I really want to be wrong.

Sheila said...

What an emotional roller coaster you have been on the past few months Ruth. I hope things start to turn around for you now, and you can get things in order. Perhaps then you can start to feel in control again..I'd hate being at the mercy of bureaucrats.
The news about Maddie is awful, I do hope it is a hoax..
xoxo

Akelamalu said...

I just keep hoping that no news is good news about Maddie.

Gill said...

Manifest the money. Yell loudly "Ruth is a magnet for money!!!!" Say that about 100 times a day until it rolls in...
Poor Maddy. My heart breaks when I think of her and the poor family. They must be going through hell. I hope Maddy is still alive.
xoxo
Praying!

Suzi-k said...

wow, it all sounds incredibly frustrating! Hope it's sorted before you know it!

Mauigirl said...

Ruth, I'm so glad you got a sympathetic doctor who did the right thing and gave you what you needed to qualify for the payments. Good news. I'm sorry you keep having to go through these experiences to get what you deserve, though!