Thursday, June 21, 2007

THEY ASKED THE RIGHT PERSON!

I received a letter and leaflet through the mail last week from the Office for National Statistics. This is a government department responsible for collecting information on almost all aspects of life in the UK. You know the kind of thing....62% of the UK watch Big Brother or 90% of all households have pets. I often read these sorts of figures in the National Press and thought....I wonder where they get those figures from, no one's ever asked me! Well now I know and they have! I was a little worried at first....not being good with strangers but thought it a good exercise to help me with dealing with the problem. Well would you believe it...today the chap came...and what was the basis of the survey......
LOCAL PUBLIC TRANSPORT AND THE DISABLED!!!!!!!!.
They picked an expert out of the hat when they chose me! I have no complaints about the Interviewer, he was a really pleasant and VERY polite. In fact my only complaint is that there was no category worse than "VERY POOR" in answer to the questions!
Another bit of news...I've finally received a letter from the Bereavement Office confirming the amount I will receive. It will be £58.46 (except for the first 8 weeks when they reduce it because I received Carer's Allowance).......so at least I have it in writing now and Babergh District Council have immediately confirmed that I won't have to pay rent or council tax. Phew..............three cheers for B.D.C. for their quick and efficient response.
Only one problem ..........still no actual money from the Bereavement Benefits Office....but then it's ONLY been 11 WEEKS .......

8 visitors have commented:

talj said...

Great to see you have FINALLY received something in writing regarding the bereavement allowance. I hope things move a long quickly now for you!! {{{HUGS}}} xx

Audrey said...

Definitely Ruth three cheers for the BDC if only all departments were as considerate and efficient, now the letter is through the money your owed should follow pretty quickly, its awful you've had to wait this long for this, almost there xx Auds

RUTH said...

Thanks The drinks are on me when it does come through!

Gill said...

11 weeks????
What????? Ridiculous. You are a patient woman.

Sheila said...

Ruth I'm glad they sorted this out. Please tell me it will be retro active, and you will get it dating back to when you became eligible, and not just from when they sorted it..?

Calamity Jane said...

Ruth - first time visit for me - nice blog! I'm sorry for your loss and that the 'powers that be' have to make things harder. I'm not a millions away from you - about 16 miles north-ish of BSE - I loved your post on Sudbury, the kids' visit reminds me of a school trip I went on to Lavenham about 25 years ago!

RUTH said...

I agree 11 weeks is ridiculous and my phone bill has mounted up with all the phone calls I've made chasing it up. Yes Sheila he money should be backdated to when I originally applied for it...I hope so or that phone bill won't get paid!!:o)
Calamity Jane; often seen your avatar in comment boxes and assumed you were from USA; I'll pop over and blogsee you.

Akelamalu said...

Hurray, at last some good news. 11 weeks with no money, you must be used to living on fresh air by now Ruth! Yes if there are any Government Departments reading you do detect more than a hint of sarcasm!