Friday, January 12, 2007

YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE

Mick really seems to enjoy watching our twinkling optic light and the lava lamp; I've tried to place them so that he can see at least one of them depending on which direction his head is turned. My friend Sue knows this and yesterday brought over a fibre optic lamp that she never uses and wondered if I'd like it as another "point of interest" for Mick to focus on. Yet another thoughtful gesture from her!
It's a lovely lamp but unfortunately has no switch on it which would mean that in order to turn it on and off I'd have to keep moving the TV to get to the plug points behind it. Not very practical!!! Luckily I had a spare switch in our "may come in useful" cupboard so decided to put it on the lamp.
I manage quite well with basic DIY tasks. Mick and I have never been ones for "this is my job...that is yours". Even though Mick is a painter and decorator I would still help him when he was decorating at home even if it was only in the guise of "gopher" (go for this or go for that). A couple of times I've even been to work with him when he has been short of labour. I know how to do a painting job "properly" including all the preparation work which makes such a difference to the finished article. The filling and rubbing down, the caulking round doorways and too many other little things to mention. Often with "jobs" at home Mick would hand it over to me if the job needed my smaller hands or it was so fiddly that he would loose patience with it...(me being a...I'll get this done if it takes me all night..sort of person). So I'm able to do some basic electrics, plumbing, painting, wallpapering and carpentry; I can put up a shelf without it falling down and I'm a whizz at flat pack furniture!



All that said......I put on the switch







and very pretty the light looks too, as with most fibre optics it changes colour and now Mick has something to look at whether he is looking to right, left or straight on.




And the light OUTSIDE; well it's trying........................

9 visitors have commented:

Analía said...

It'a a very nice lamp for Mick my friend, but it's nicer to know you have a friend like Sue around. Hugs and kisses for you.
Love, Ani

Anonymous said...

Wow. That looks reminiscent of a painting by Turner.

RUTH said...

GW: Turner could do a thing or too with a paintbrush too!!!

Analia; it's nice to have a friend like you too.
Rx

Jenny said...

I'm glad to hear about Mick singing - that must have really lifted your heart. Your lava lamp is so lovely - I've never had one!

Audrey said...

Ruth

Its amazing the skills a woman learns in the course of a lifetime isnt it......Smiling as my daughters partner is a painter and decorater by trade and as you say its that proffesional finish that makes all the difference...Keep asking for tips off our Darren but he just winks and gives me a knowing smile "Trade secrets Auds" he tells me...now I can say I will ask Ruth lol

Isnt your neighbour a gem...makes all the difference I should imagine those little gestures...

Lots of love to you and Mick

Rosemary said...

It's a real blessing that you have such a thoughtful and caring neighbor. I look forward to becoming a friend, too!

Analía said...

and youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu light up my life!!!!! This songs brings me memories of myself years ago sitting by my window singing and thinking I was on a video clip... LOL (how crazy can I be sometimes!! you'd love me anyway,wouldn't you?

Kisses to both of you and Manda and all in your family and your neighbour and....and... you know, everybody :)

Claire said...

I have a colour changing egg thing which i have by my bed, do you want me to post it to you for mick?
Clarex

RUTH said...

That's a really sweet thought but you keep it and everytime you look at it blow us a kiss.
Rx