Saturday, February 17, 2007

A SH**TY MORNING



Today started off quite well....I'd slept well, nice sunrise, not too cold etc. As I was awake early I did a post for M.M.L.M.G., left a few comments here and there and then.......this is where it all started to go wrong......I followed some ill advice I'd been given to do a SYSTEM RESTORE on my computer; I'd been having a few niggly problems lately with it and was assured that this would probably solve it.
BIG MISTAKE ......FAR FROM SOLVING ANYTHING IT MADE MATTERS WORSE!!! I couldn't get into any of my favourites.......I clicked and clicked....NOTHING!! I tried to sign in to my blog.......NOTHING. I really started to panic!!! In fact I started to cry.......my life line to the outside world, my communication, my sanity..................all gone!!!!

HELP
Mick started to rouse and so I had to pull myself together; explained my sniffing nose on a cold and tried to act normal. Everytime I walked past my computer to make tea, make breakfast, get a flannel etc etc...I quickly clicked just in case by some miracle it was going to work again. It didn't. Mick did quite well with his breakfast and only dozed back off a couple of times. As I was getting him dressed he made a magnificent entry for the "Log of Logs"...........I was pleased about this as entries had waned lately.........the thought ever going round in my mind that the chances of me ever recording on my blog were zilch!! I put him in his armchair, tidied up and then stared at the blank page on my computer screen in anguish. Thankfully...and don't ask me how.....my email was still working......MY BABY BOY
I emailed Rob praying that he was at home and on his computer. I didn't want to ring him.....after all it was Saturday morning..........a young man of his age would be nursing an hangover I was sure. The relief when he emailed back..................................I can smile now at what he wrote;

well that was rather silly. Why didn't you ask me first before doing something so major. Well too late now. Basically you are going to have to do all the Microsoft updates and re-install anything else that was installed after the time that the system restore has taken you back to. System Restores are nasty things I am afraid and normally causes more problems than its worth. The only way forward now is to reinstall stuff. You wont have lost any data on the laptop, i.e. photos etc but you will have lost program settings etc.

He then guided me to reinstalling IE7 etc and ended the instructions with the words

and keep your fingers crossed!...................which was slightly worrying but added afterwards

I know you will get it working again as you are one of the select few that actually look for answers to get resolutions which believe me, not many people do that.......which made me feel a little better

As you can tell by the fact you're reading this it worked.....................and if you're reading this Rob......................every second of the two months of morning sickness, four months of aching back, three months of looking like beached whale, eight hours of labour and six months of sore nipples was worth it!!!!!!!!

THANKS ROB

4 visitors have commented:

talj said...

Oh Ruth!! So sorry to read about your morning! :o( I had to chuckle at your last little message to Rob though!! I hope that you get everything back to normal on the PC very soon! :o)

Gene Bach said...

YEA you got it fixed!

Remember, computers are our friends...they are here to help us. BWWWWAAAAAAA!!!!! Yeah, right! LOL!

Rosemary said...

Having just gotten my own computer to working again last weekend, I can really identify with that sense of panic and despair of losing contact with the outside world.

I'm glad you had someone who could tell you how to fix it. My problem is ... I'm the one everyone calls for computer help, so I didn't have anyone who could help me. LOL

Audrey said...

Can I thank Rob too!!!!!!!!

That was truly a horrible morning Ruth and Im so glad your up and running again.

Had to laugh at the final comments......wonderful.

Love Auds x