Thursday, May 31, 2007

THE AMERICAN CONNECTION

In my hurry to upload my photos from yesterday, although I mentioned that there were American connections to Bury St Edmunds, I forgot to mention the web page that may be of interest to some of you. Just click on the flag below.


American connections
If you're from Jamestown, Virginia and are celebrating the 400th anniversary founding you may be interested in this site...click HERE

Even Sudbury has links with America....Nicole had been learning about it school;

In 1630 John Winthrop from the Suffolk village of Groton near Sudbury emigrated to take charge of the Massachusetts Company. He founded the city of Boston and became the first Governor of the State of Massachusetts. He has been described as the "Father of New England" and is buried in the Kings Chapel, Boston. His son John became first Governor of Connecticut and a major city in this state is named after the ancestral home, Groton. It was another Sudbury man, Thomas Davies, who set the lantern in the tower of Old North Church, Boston, giving the signal to Paul Revere to make his famous ride.

***************************************************************************

Thanks to all those who have wished me well for my CAB appointment. It WAS definitely for today.....I know because they have just phoned and cancelled it! The advisor I was due to see has called in sick so they have rescheduled my appointment for next Thursday 7th. Maybe by then I will have some idea whether or not I will be getting the Bereavement Allowance....still no news......my Carer's Allowance ends on the 4th June but I still have to pay my share of Council Tax and Rent. On the bright side at least I have all the paperwork ready for the CAB now so I won't have that job hanging over my head.

6 visitors have commented:

CG said...

That was interesting ruth. Sorry about the CAB. Hope all goes ahead next week!!

Akelamalu said...

That's interesting.

Shame the CAB have changed your appointment but at least it's not months away, which it could have been. Anyway I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for next Thursday for you.

Audrey said...

Very interesting link Ruth. Catching up, it sounds like you had a good trip out the other day. Love the buddha and wonderful pictures on your album.

Sorry to read you CAB appointment was cancelled till next week, positive in there though at least your rememberer got it right..

Wishing you sunshine

Anonymous said...

So, John Winthrop was from your village? How cool. I live in Boston, so we hear a lot about him here.

Gledwood said...

Is it just me or are the CAB getting more and more like the organizations they're meant to be protecting us from ??

RUTH said...

I know what you mean Gleds but the CAB is free and all the staff are volunteers so it would not be fair to complain about them. They are a last resort hope for many (including me!)...unless of course the lottery numbers come up...LOL
Rx