Sunday, May 13, 2007

COLCHESTER UNITED

What an incredible day it's been today. A day filled with pride and deep emotion. A day of raindrops and tears. A day filled with the sunshine of smiles.

Leanne and I had booked a cab for 8.30am to take us to the station. When we woke up and saw the gloomy skies we were glad we had; we didn't want to be drenched before we even got to Colchester. We didn't bother with breakfast....Saturday's supper of Victorian Sponge filled with cherries had left us both full.


The taxi arrived on time; it was a Merc so we travelled in style.......

and were at the station in minutes................. for some reason the train from Marks Tey to Colchester had been cancelled and so part of the journey to Colchester had to be made on the Rail Relief Bus

THE JOURNEY

Kim and Steve kindly picked us up from Colchester Station and off we went to Colchester Park where the race was being run. As I looked around at all the people gathered there and read all the messages pinned to their t-shirts I couldn't help but shed a few tears.. So many women touched in some way by the evil curse of Cancer. Names of Grandparents, Parents, Children, Friends..........so many different relatives....some even "FOR EVERYBODY". Each woman (some elderly, some children) felt an universal bond as they prepared to run for their loved ones. Not even the rain could dampen their spirits as they (and people like me who came to support them) united in a single thought...................in praise and memory for those who are suffering, have suffered and one day may suffer from this terrible disease that destroys the lives of so many.

THE RACE



After many hugs of pride and tears Kim went off home to have a well earned rest. Leanne and I walked through the park to town; by now the effects of that Victoria Sponge had worn off and MacDonalds was calling! We popped into a couple of shops and then caught the bus to Leanne's. VIA THE PARK TO LEANNE'S



It's only the second time I've been to Leanne's home. The first time was near Christmas 2005; when, with Mick already in a wheelchair, Leanne arranged some very costly special transport so that we could visit her. Yes we shed a few tears at this memory.............

The grandchildren arrived home and Kirsty opened the birthday presents from myself and Manda and co. and all to soon it was time for me to leave. I'd booked a cab to get me to Colchester Station for the Rail Relief Bus back to Marks Tey...the taxi was rather late and I only just made it in time!...thanks to the driver cutting a few corners and maneuvering some interesting overtaking procedures.............

THE JOURNEY HOME


Now I know some of you who are reading this are also taking part in the Race For Life in your own parts of the country during the coming months. (Yes Julie I'm thinking especially of you). I want you to know how much it means to people like me who have seen their loved ones ravaged and destroyed by Cancer. They call it the RACE for life; but it isn't a race...whether you are first or last past the finishing line; whether you run or walk; there are no losers; you are all WINNERS in my eyes.

And to help you with your training here are a few clips of Kim doing her "WARM UPS" before the race.......





Well I'm worn out myself after doing this "marathon" post so apologies if I don't blogvisit you all this evening. I'll catch up with you tomorrow..........

7 visitors have commented:

talj said...

WAY TO GO KIM!

So glad you were able to go with Leanne and that you all had a wonderful day {{{HUGS}}} to you all xx

Shaz said...

It lookes like you had an emotionally filled day. Well done to all who took part & those who supported them.

PS You're gonna have to stop posting pics of those fabulous cakes . . . just makes me want one x x

Akelamalu said...

What a wonderful day you had, even with the occasional tears. Having lost my own Mum to cancer I admire all the runners so much, I just wish I could do it myself.

Icarus said...

It is just so immensely touching & inspiring, watching from this distance. The occasional glimpses of the UK that had yesterday on Sky News, gave me the impression that half the country is now either running or gathering in solidarity in parks or around village greens for just causes. It is really laudable, admirable, because there is always something to work together towards & put right. The collective efforts will always be much more worth it than (a)the single in isolation and (b) sitting back in an armchair & doing nothing at all.
And a great report, Ruth, with all these illustrations. Yes, you gave yourself a lot fo hard work AFTER the day out to Colchester (I was there & in that park on one of my last visits to England in 1999).
SXXX

Sheila said...

Ruth I had hoped the sun would shine, and while it would have been more comfortable, it didn't seem to put a damper on things. What a funfilled busy day, I would have been glad to get back to home sweet home too.
Well done to all the participants and supporters..!

CG said...

Ruth, am so glad you got to support Kim on the day and thanks for your kind words of support for me too as I get ready for my own race early next month. You know I'll be "racing" for Mick and for Rose, two wonderful people i never had the chance to meet but who have touched so many lives and for everyone who has been affected by cancer. These races are full of comradeship and laughter as well as some tears - they are amazing! (HUGS}

Jenny said...

What a wonderful story and journey for you! Hooray for Kim - I can relate to her challenge, for sure! These races are so affirming - each participant rises to new heights and commitment to their beliefs... we all learn so much!