Monday, May 14, 2007

A FEW MORE GREY HAIRS

I woke up this morning aching from head to toe...as I didn't actually run yesterday I can only put it down to the jolting about on the bus and the train yesterday. I certainly feel a lot older than my 55 years today and not really in the mood to prepare for today's battle with the DHSS and suchlike....but it has to be done...........(putting this to draft while I start the phone calls).........and leaving you will a little telephone music...............









I have now spent yet another morning hanging on the phone speaking to every available DHSS agency I can find trying to get someone somewhere to get the ball rolling so that I can receive the monies I am due. I am entitled to Carers Allowance for 8 weeks following Mick's death, I am entitled to Bereavement Allowance......to date I have received not a single penny since 6th April and things are starting to get awkward. One department waits on another department which waits on another department and on and on....once you get to the last department they cant do anything until the first department does.I know I should be grateful that we have a benefits system but it's just not working for me. The cost of my phone bill is mounting up in my effort to receive what is due to me.....unless something happens quickly I won't be paying that bill! The Funeral Directors (understandably)want their money, council tax,rent, gas, water, electric etc etc..the list grows day by day! I am a reasonably intelligent and patient person but even I am getting to the end of my tether.


HELP

In true Scarlett O'Hara mode ( you have probably noticed the resemblance between us...LOL).....

Ruth in her best frock

"Tara for now. After all, tomorrow is another day and the sun may be shining!"

13 visitors have commented:

Akelamalu said...

I could scream for you Ruth. In fact I will.


Aaaaarrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

talj said...

So sorry that at this time, when you most need to have time to yourself, that you have to share it with the waste of space that is our benefit system. If I hadn't been dealing with them myself for almost 2 years now I would be shocked by your post but, sadly, nothing shocks me about the way they deal with things anymore. It seems they are better at walking all over 'us' when what we most need is understanding and a speedy processing team!

{{{HUGS}}} xx

CG said...

How bloody awful, ruth, you have my sympathies!

the resemblance between you and scarlet ohara is something i've noticed before :)

Shaz said...

Have you tried enlisting the help of your local Citrizens Advice? This might give them a fright! Worth a try x

Anonymous said...

I sincerely hope that they hurry up and get their finger out soon and send you the monies you are owed.

Could you speak to you bank to get some short term overdraft to tide you over?

I am sure they would be very sympathetic in such circumstances.

Fingers crossed for a speedy solution. xxx

RUTH said...

A nice idea Lottie but I can't even get my bank to let me have the money in Mick's account! They say they can't even let me know whether they have received any communications from me.

AnalĂ­a said...

Oh Ruth, I'm so sorry to hear all of this. I wish there was something I could do. I don't understand what are they waiting for. I hope everything gets better SOON. I'm sending you lots of kisses. Did you get my TXT? :)
Love you

Mauigirl said...

So sorry, Ruth! It must be so frustrating. Would it be worth hiring a lawyer (or do you call them solicitors?) who specializes in these types of situations? Hang in there, I know it is hard...

Sylvia said...

Hopefully things will get better and the sun will shine down on you. (PS get that red hair and the grey hairs won't be seen)

A wildlife gardener said...

This episode makes my blood boil...again! I hate it when politicians say, "You know, lots of people don't know they are due benefits, and sadly, they are never taken up." And now we know the reson...they are worn down by bureaucracy! What about enlisting your local councillor? Or have you tried Citizens Advice Bureau, to see if they know of shortcuts to claiming your entitled benefits?

Jenny said...

So frustrating - nothing will top that story of the credit card company guy who kept insisting to talk to Mr. Jenner, but this comes close!

Peaceful/Paisible said...

there's no ressemblance between Scarlett and you, you are MUCH MORE BEAUTIFUL...and we love you dearly...I'm so sorry you have such a complicated life...you don't need all these troubles...
what could I do? say? come with me darling, we'll have a nice walk in your garden and after a nice cup'a...I send you all my love...
Mousie

Maggie said...

Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time. I have had my own battles (over DLA), and the best site I have found for help is Benefitsandwork.co.uk
There is a charge to join (£16.50 I think, but could be wrong) which is membership for a year. I found their guidelines for filling in forms very helpful.

Good luck with all of this - it's a disgrace that you have to wait all this time for benefits you are entitled to.

Hugs from sunny Liverpool